When you think about Halloween, you probably think of fresh fruit and vegetables...right? Wrong. You think candy, like the rest of us (including the dietitians!). We all know candy is here to stay when it comes to Halloween festivities. Use my tricks below to make this year's event enjoyably better-for-you and your family.
Click the photo to hear more about making Halloween healthier this year.
- Have a plan for leftover candy. You may decide to participate in a buy back program or donate it. No matter what you choose make sure you're prepared for the mounds leftover. See below for more after Halloween tips.
- Eat dinner before hitting the trick-or-treat route. Make sure to include veggies, whole grains, and lean animal or plant-based proteins.
- If your neighborhood is safe for walking then enjoy a night on foot instead of by car. You'll stay active, hit fewer houses worth of candy bowls, and see more costumes (a win-win-win).
- If you're stocking-up on candy options for your home or office then checkout a few of my favorites listed below. The theme? Lower sugar and mini-packages for built-in portion control.
- Don't leave a bowl of candy in plain sight. Put candy in an opaque dish in the cabinet. Leave fresh fruit or vegetables where you can see them. This is a great rule for year around snacking as research shows that you're more likely to eat more of the foods readily available and within eyesight.
- Remember, don't use candy as a reward or punishment. More on this here.
Allison's Halloween Snack-ables List
Note: All snacks listed below are my choices based on nutrient value. I have not received financial or other incentives for naming products on this list.
Rule of thumb: opt for mini versions or individual packages of candies and snacks. Avoid full-sized candy bars. Choose cookies and crackers with 15g or less of sugar per serving.
Cookies and Crackers
- Animal crackers
- Milano Dark Chocolate Cookies (packs of 2)
- Dark chocolate covered or dipped mini pretzels
Chocolate and Candy
- Hershey's individual chocolate bars
- Dark chocolate mini treats (Halloween-themed packaging available)
- Fruit leather, fruit twists, or fruit snacks